Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Collegian's Perspective: Friendships Beyond Badges

By Abby Schneider, University of Missouri

Chairman Jean M. Mrasek with all the past NPC
chairmen in attendance at the 2014 NPC annual meeting.
Recently, I had the opportunity to attend the National Panhellenic Conference annual meeting in St. Louis. Throughout the weekend, I shadowed current NPC Chairman, Jean M. Mrasek, and sat in on some of her meetings, observing and absorbing as much information as my collegian viewpoint would allow me to do. 

The first event I witnessed Friday night was a meeting to revise the bylaws with NPC delegations from the 26 NPC member organizations. Upon entering the crowded room, I immediately noticed a u-shaped table that seated one woman per each of the 26 NPC sororities. These 26 women, I came to find, were the delegates that would stand up and speak on behalf of their organizations when they felt it was necessary. With the delegates in the shape of a U, I already could feel a sense of collaboration among the women in the room. When a woman stood up and walked to the microphone to make any input, she would state her name and sorority affiliation first, with full respect and attention of those around her. This collaboration, I then understood, was Panhellenic -- friendships beyond badges.

While I was most taken by the true spirit of togetherness that was apparent at the meeting, the subject being addressed was also something that surprised me. As an active member, the bylaws are something that I remember acknowledging during my recruitment process and pushing out of my mind shortly after. Before this weekend, I never would have assumed that the NPC worked so diligently on keeping these bylaws as up to date and accurate as possible. For one hour these women went line by line, sometimes debating one word or phrase until finding one that conveyed their meaning accurately. The NPC's determination toward revising and perfecting these regulations truly represents how much work they put into so many different things that before the meeting I had never even thought of. 

One of the biggest things I took away from the meeting was just how important the National Panhellenic Conference is in terms of the bigger picture of sorority life. NPC is the venue that allows all 26 incredible women’s organizations to advance sorority together.

No comments:

Post a Comment